Personal Support Worker, Part-Time Positions Available
Nucleus Independent Living provides person-centered services to support frail seniors and adults with physical disabilities living at home in the community. Known for our innovation and service philosophy, our employees bring our values to life through a passion for quality service delivery. We are committed to creating an environment where you feel valued for the work you do, you are able to hone your skills and you have an opportunity to make a difference.
The Attendant (PSW) provides clearly defined non-medical personal care, routine activities of living and homemaking following service plans and established policies and procedures.
Nucleus operates 7 days per week, including holidays. Availability and commitment to shifts assigned including, at minimum, every other weekend (both Saturday and Sunday) is a requirement.
Deliver consumer-directed support services, respecting the individuality and dignity of each consumer. Position is a mobile role, requiring driving between consumers throughout shift. Service tasks include, but are not limited to:
• Washing/bathing/showering; hair care; preventative skin care and routine hand/foot care
• Changing non-sterile dressings
• Exercising/range of motion
• Meal preparation including menu planning/groceries/cooking/clean-up; assistance with eating
• Escorting and assisting the consumer on short trips
• Controlled acts as activities of daily living (requires specialized training provided by Nucleus)
• Light house cleaning (tidying; dishes; dusting; vacuuming; washing floors; sinks; tubs; showers; toilets)
• Laundry and ironing
• Caring for pets (in accordance with organizational policies)
Skills and Qualifications
• Personal Support Worker Certificate from an accredited institution, or equivalent.
• RPN, OTA, PTA an asset. Gerontology specialist an asset.
• Valid CPR and First Aid Certificate
• Valid Driver’s License, Business Use Insurance and reliable vehicle
• Recent work experience providing personal support for seniors and/or adults requiring physical assistance
• Solid knowledge of the principles, practices and methods of providing personal support services to consumers
• Ability to communicate fluently in English and French, both oral and written
• Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to build rapport and trusting relationships
• Demonstrated ability to listen and follow verbal instructions as directed by the consumer
• Able to assist consumers with standing, walking, sitting, lifting and transferring movements
• Able to freely lift 23 Kgs (50 lbs)
• Reliability and punctuality are a must
• Good computer skills and use of various electronic communication devices (cell phones, GPS)
• Knowledge of abuse prevention strategies and therapeutic boundaries an asset
• Demonstrated respect and compassion towards individuals served as well as the ability to provide culturally-sensitive services for consumers with diverse cultural / ethnic backgrounds
• This position is ‘mobile’ requiring attendants to drive in their own vehicles to individual consumers private residences to provide service.
• Employment is contingent upon successful Criminal Background Check and Driver’s Abstract and validation of auto insurance.
This position is part of CUPE Local 507
• We offer competitive wages which include paid mileage and travel time
• You will join a great team people making a difference in the lives of our consumers
• We offer a positive, supportive and respectful work environment
• We are leaders in our field and pride ourselves on continuous service delivery improvements and innovations
• We celebrate our diverse workforce!